I have to do a science project on how a disposable camera works and I was wondering where the energy comes from in a disposable camera.
The only power source a disposable camera needs is for the flash. Since disposable cameras use 35mm film, they are mostly mechanical. They come with a battery built in, probably one or two AA batteries. The batteries recharge the flash capacitor. If the camera doesn’t have a flash (some really cheap disposable cameras don’t have a flash), then it doesn’t need any kind of power source. Everything is mechanical…the shutter and the film advance knob.
And yeah, I have to repeat the warnings other people have mentioned here…if the camera has a flash, do NOT take it apart! The flash has a high voltage capacitor which can give you a nasty shock. When I was around 12 or 13, I was going through a phase where I was taking everything apart out of curiosity. One time, I took apart one of my cameras. I saw a black round thing inside, near the battery compartment. I knew a little bit about electronics, but no one had ever warned me that a camera has a capacitor. I just assumed it was some kind of rechargeable battery. Somehow, I accidentally touched the contacts and ZAP! I got a really painful shock that I will never forget.
A disposable battery.
battery, and don’t effin take it apart either. They can kill you unless you know what you’re doing.
The capacitors, even in a disposable, hold PLENTY enough juice to render you non living. It doesn’t take too much to disrupt a heartbeat.
EDIT: To clarify, I meant don’t take the camera apart…not specifically the battery.