what do taekwondo students call there teacher?

^^^^^^^^^^^ anyone know?

16 Answers

  • Zenlife
    1 month ago

    Sahbumnim or Master.

    Best wishes :)***

  • ?
    5 days ago

    Taekwondo Instructor

  • jamesf24
    1 month ago

    As others have said,

    Sa ba nim means master

    1st/2nd Dan Sonsangnim

    3rd/4th Dan Kyosanim

    Instructor Kyobomnim

    Master Sabomnim

    Kyosanim is more formal and can be used for a lower dan. The dan’s I listed are just a guideline and are not exact. All of these terms can be used for a teacher, but you wouldn’t call the master anything other than Sabomnim.


  • mehereintheeast
    1 month ago

    In the Korean martial arts (Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, etc…) there are various titles and monikers used, it mostly depends on your school and your teachers preference.

    Many instructors under 4th Dan use the term “Mr.” or “Mrs.” And forgo anything too formal. From 4th To 7th Dan (Sometime 8th Dan too.) they use Master and then 8th Dan or sometimes just 9th Dan they use Grand master. Other instructors will use the term Sahbum Nim (Teacher) for the head teacher of a Dojang (School) while reserving Kwan Chang Nim (Master) for their teacher. However, some schools use a strict naming convention such as:

    Assistant Instructor – Boo Sabum Nim or Kyo Sa Nim (1st to 3rd Dan)

    Instructor/Teacher – Sahbum Nim (4th to 6th Dan)

    Master – Sahyun Nim or Kwan Chang Nim (7th and 8th Dan)

    Grand Master Saseong Nim or Chong Jae Nim (8th and 9th Dan)

    Founder – Doju Nim – This is generally reserved for founders of entire arts, not just branches of an existing art. In other words, General Choi Hong Hi, Founder of the Oh Do Kwan and one of the founders of Tae Kwon do, or Ji Han Jae, founder of Sin Moo Hapkido and one of the founders of the art of Hapkido.

    Note: ‘Nim’ is a term of respect analogous to ‘sir’.

    It should be noted that the term Sensei is a Japanese term, it is NOT Korean and would NEVER be used in Korea to refer to a teacher. In fact, if you go back to the beginning of the history of Taekwondo, you will see that the name was chosen so as to not incorporate any Chinese or other foreign influence into the naming of the art. Likewise, mane of the forms (hyungs) used by the schools used to make up the early Taekwondo system (Song Moo Kwan, Chung Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan, Chang Moo Kwan, Jidokwan, etc…) had forms that appeared to be influenced heavily or not directly from Japanese Karate and Chinese Chuan-Fa (Kung-Fu) as a result, new forms were created. Since those days, the forms have been changed two more times to further weed out the influence of foreign martial arts, especially Japanese Martial arts. You need to remember that Korea was subjugated by Japan from 1910 to 1945. During that time, the Koreans were treated VERY poorly. Thus, Japanese terms are NOT appropriate in a school of Taekwondo. (Although, they do crop up from time to time because most people in the west are more familiar with the Japanese terms then the Korean.)

    I hope this helps.

  • pugpaws2
    1 month ago

    They should only be called a master if they really are a master. Being an instructor and being a master are very, very different. Really frost my butt to hear instructor demanding that they be called a master when they are barely out of high school (some are not even out yet). A master is a mature instructor that is no less than 4th degree black belt, has the title in writing from the organization, and is at least 25 years old. (masters that young are rare in legitimate martial arts.)

  • ?
    1 month ago

    PugPaws got it right.

    You should refer to them as Mister or Miss, but not Master.

    I took Tae Kwon Do lessons from an academy that had 5 schools. And there was only ONE MASTER for all of those schools. Everyone else was merely an instructor, even though they held 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree blackbelts.

    It is certainly possible to have more than one Master at a given TKD school, it is not appropriate to call anyone lower than a 4th degree a Master.

  • Constitutionist
    1 month ago

    Traditions From the East have a very complex naming system.In Hangul these would be the terms.

    Names and Titles


    Degree (Black Belt)

    Yu Dan Cha

    Holder Of Degree (Black Belt) Rank


    Grade (Rank Below Black Belt)

    Yu Gup Cha

    Holder Of Gup Rank




    Term of respect “honorable”

    Sa Bum Nim


    Kwan Jung Nim

    Director of a Martial Arts School, Style or Organization.

    Kuk Sa Nim

    Grand Master (National Martial Arts Teacher)

  • Bujinkan Ninja
    1 month ago

    The Korean word is sahbumnim, but since it doesn’t quite roll off the tongue… they are usually called Master (insert last name).

    It mostly depends on what the instructor wishes to be called.

    I agree with Pugpaws2 that someone should be at least a 4th degree black belt before they are referred to as master.

  • ?
    6 days ago

    This Site Might Help You.


    what do taekwondo students call there teacher?

    ^^^^^^^^^^^ anyone know?

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Although the proper etiquette is the term Sahbumnim most TKD schools simply go by Sensei or Mr./Mrs./Ms. and last name. I have even been to a few that allow their students to call them by their first name with no title at all which is very wrong.

  • Evan S
    1 month ago


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Questions