‘Does paper contain starch?’
‘Dry cleaners often use carbon tetrachloride. What stains would this remove?’
‘List the 3 types of carbohydrates and give an example of each.’
1. Yes; in a typical sheet of copy paper for instance, the starch content may be as high as 8%.
2. It removes grease stains and paint and varnish stains. In the early 20th century, carbon tetrachloride was widely used as a dry cleaning solvent. However, once it became apparent that carbon tetrachloride exposure had severe adverse health effects, safer alternatives such as tetrachloroethylene were found for these applications, and its use in this role declined from about 1940 onward.
3. They are:
– starch: peas, corn, lima beans, potatoes, dried beans, lentils, pinto beans, kidney beans, black eyed peas, split peas, oats, barley, and rice.
– sugar: naturally occurring sugars such as those in milk or fruit and added sugars such as those added during processing such as fruit canned in heavy syrup or sugar added to make a cookie
– fiber: fruits and vegetables (especially those with edible skin and berries), whole grains, beans, legumes, chick peas, white beans, lentils, and nuts
what is the building of proteins.?