My dog ate an entire Chocolate Chip Clif bar, what should I do?

So I left a Clif bar on my kitchen counter this morning before leaving.

He some how got it, (he’s a pomeranian so I thought it was out of his reach) I came home for his noon walk and noticed he’d been licking his lips? or smacking like he’d eaten peanut butter. But I didn’t make a big deal of it sense everything seemed to be in order in my apartment.

We went for out walk, he’s acting fine when I see a chewed wrapper for the Clif Bar in the corner in the kitchen.

He’s about 11lbs and a Pomeranian mix so he looks the size of like a Boston Terrier just not a muscled.

Will he be okay, what signs should I look out for that he’s not?

My vet charges 45$ just for a visit not including if he needs to run tests. I’d like to avoid him if it turns out my dog is just gonna have diarrhea for a few days…

13 Answers

  • madel
    4 days ago

    Clif Dog

  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

    No, even with 70% dark, a single bar will do nothing in a dog that large. Do CALL your vet, though and ask the same question: you’ll feel better about it. And remember, grain alcolhol is toxic to humans but we can sure drink a lot of beer without dying. Chocolate is only mildly toxic to dogs.

  • Anonymous
    9 days ago

    You shouldn’t need to take him to a vet unless he starts presenting problems, like diarrhea of vomiting. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but this product doesn’t actually contain that much. That fact that it’s dark Chocolate might be a problem for such a little dog, but like a said, just keep an eye on him today and tonight. Most of the other stuff, (rice, soya, oats) you actually find in dog food, so that shouldn’t be a problem for him.

  • Patrick of Peel
    9 days ago

    That is a very funny story. Unless the dog does this several more times, he is not likely to overdose as a diabetic. However, did you say you found a whole wrapper chewed up or just part of one. If it is only part of one, look for the other half to be “passed” to you by your little darling very soon. BTW, most vets do not charge for a telephone call consultation if your dog is registered with them.

  • Chelsea Lately
    9 days ago

    Keep an eye on him for the next few days. Most likely it won’t do anything but could cause some tummy upset and or diarrhea. He should be totally fine though.

    You’re lucky your vet only charges $45. Mine is $58 just for the visit!


  • Jimmy
    9 days ago

    I’m no vet, but I’m sure your dog will be just find if it only ate a cookie. My dog has had countless chocolate bars and he has always been fine. He either throws it all up or eats plenty of grass to help digest it. Honestly, a cookie isn’t enough to hurt your dog, if you see him acting different or in pain then I would take him to the vet.

  • Anonymous
    9 days ago

    Honestly i wouldnt worry too much…as with most things dogs are allergic to…it takes an extreme amount to cause them real harm…so just keep an eye on him…make sure he drinks plenty of water…and you might try feeding him a bit of dog food…to help get things through his system faster…if he starts panting very heavily or vomiting alot…or having a seizure (twitching, eyes rolling back things like that) call your vet…otherwise you should be fine…my dog has eaten an entire snikers bar before and been fine…so just keep an eye out for extreme reactions…anything extremely unusual, but he should be fine.

  • poggle
    9 days ago

    Phone your vet for advice and tell them the weight of the dog and what he ate. Chocolate is toxic to 10% of dogs and its impossible to tell if yours is one of the 1 in 10 or not until he has been poisoned.

  • Anonymous
    9 days ago

    Unless your dog is acting very sick don’t take him to the vet. The only ingredients in the bar that could hurt him would be the cocoa and the raisins but there probably isn’t enough of that to hurt him.

  • Jenna Yee
    9 days ago

    It doesn’t seem like enough chocolate or raisins to harm him, but keep a close eye on him and take him to the vet if anything abnormal happens.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Answers