Is there a name for a person who obsessively tears paper?

my sister is always picking up random papers and tearing them up and leaving them around the house, we have no idea why. she does not have ocd or anything. my dad just asked if there was a name for this or if it was just called obsessive paper tearing.

2 Answers

  • jeremycadwell
    1 month ago

    Maybe she has a freudian hang-up, or a jungian “complex” about something.

    For example:

    Maybe she’s feeling excessive guilt over something she did. Or even, maybe she’s hiding something and just tears all the paper she comes across because its her psychological way of concealment or a kind of camouflage.

    If she has an “obsession” with doing something repeatedly, perhaps you would just say she has some mild “obsessive compulsiveness”. You don’t need to diagnose her with anything more specific than that.

    Is she tearing important documents that you verify were things she should be tearing? Is she tearing your personal items; such as photographs of yours?

    On wikipedia it said the following about OCD, please see if this seems to fit at all:

    In the United States, one in 50 adults has OCD.[2] The phrase “obsessive-compulsive” has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is meticulous, perfectionist, absorbed in a cause, or otherwise fixated on something or someone.

    So, informally it is correct to say she has an obsessive compulsion with tearing paper.

    for a diagnosis, you might want to consult a therapist or PhD in Psychology or Psychiatry.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    a shredder?


    I agree with the person above me, they are right on…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Questions